What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

cml

What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

cml
What do you think? Explain your ideas as fully as possible.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

BRAINZZZZ?
*WARNING PLOT SPOILERS*

I personally believe that the most important thing that happens in chapter 2 is the boys setting the fire on the mountain, the way that they rush to start making one as soon as Ralph suggests the idea shows/infers to the reader that they will always be chaotic and become more so throughout the story eventually leading to the deaths of Simon and Piggy as the boys get carried away. BTW 1st...:)

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

OH HI!
Right, I think the most significant event that happens in chapter two is when Piggy loses his temper. I think this is the most significant as throughout chapter one we saw piggy as a quiet, child like immature character. Whereas here he starts to show some potential in standing up for himself. I think this will change the way the boys feel about Piggy, as before they couldnt care less, left him behind and ignored him. Now I think they will start to show some respect, but not as much as they show the others. Although the way piggy lost his temper was still very childish, the fact he finally stood up for him self is significant to the mood surrounding the island. Aidan

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Oh Livi R
Obviously all the events in Chapter Two are important. I think that in particular, the little boy going missing is very significant. Before that, they thought that being on the island was a sort of game, describing its landscape as 'wacco' and 'wizard'. None of them had really taken into account how much danger they were in. Ralph had assured them that 'sooner or later a ship will be put here... we shall be rescued'. Also, they made the fire more because it would be fun rather than because it would help them get off the island. They were acting, as Piggy said, 'like a crowd of kids'.

Then, when Piggy realized that the boy wasn't with them, the other boys began to realize that it wasn't all fun and games. Someone was most likely dead because they were so eager to make a fire. The disappearance of the young boy showed them that the island wasn't as fun and good as they thought it was; it had an 'unfriendly side'. Also, it says 'the drum-roll continued' in the last sentence of the chapter, which might be seen as implying that more deaths are going to follow, and that the island had already taken one victim.

DUN DUN DUN...
Pea to the Eye to the Gee Gee Why.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Laura F xD
Within Chapter 2 there are some very important key events which are all important for different reasons. In my opinion like Livi said above I feel that the disapearance of the young boy with the birthmark is the most significant as it makes it clear to the reader that cracks are beginning to form in the sheild the boys seem to feel surrounds them and the island. In the beginning the island was seen as a paradise like place full off 'enchantment' but now as the fire caused by the boys turns more violent and chaotic we can see the boy's have a lack of control on the situation. The reader can infer that the inhabitants of the island are indeed just children who have no real idea of what they are doing. The disapearance of the young boy wraps the chapter up neatly showing us the beginnings of a problematic future.

^_^

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Alex King
Although when the boy with the birthmark disappears is a key event in Chapter 2, I do not believe it is the most significant. In my personal opinion I think that when the small boy asks Ralph what he is going to do about the "Beastie", is the most important part. This is because it doesn't just bring up one problem but two.
     The first of which is, and most obvious, is that panic breaks out. When this does all the littleuns immediately become scared and the assembly breaks down. This is shown in the text by "The older boys agreed; but here and there among the little ones was the dubiety that required more than rational assurance", which shows that not all of the little ones where satisfied with his answer. Therefore they do not trust Ralph, and that is where Jack has his moment to prove to everyone he can be leader, as he reassures the younger ones that he will hunt down the beast, if there is one, and kill it.
     Secondly the mention of the "beast" causes problems for Ralph. This is because it shows how Ralph can handle a situation, and it shows that he does not think as fast as Jack does. This therefore tells the audience that Jack is a leader that will think on his feet to make sure that others are happy in the short-term. Whereas Ralph is a leader that needs time to think things through and make sure that he makes the right decision rather than a quick one. Ralph also is shown here to be the outsider, as Jack has started to take control by making sure that the little ones feel safe.
     In conclusion I can see that the beast is going to create more problems in the future, and that the characters are blinded by this, and do not see a path that leads around it so that they can focus on being rescued.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Beans
First and foremost I disagree with all of the above posts solely because they posted before me :) and i pre-emptively disagree with Emma's post for obvious reasons.

In my opinion Chapter 2 is the spark which ignites the whole story. The main plot and many of the sub-plots begin here and the reader really begins to understand the dynamics of the story and the relationships within. By studying the chapter I have picked out the 3 points which i think are the most important (although Alex King, dare I say it, you made a very good point, "In my personal opinion I think that when the small boy asks Ralph what he is going to do about the "Beastie", is the most important part." I do agree with you here but I have not included it in my response.)

1. The Fire Beacon
2. The Death of the "Birth Marked Boy"
3. Piggy's Outburst

However, everyone is going to write about these three so I have chosen three entirely separate ones just to be different :)

1. Ralph Discovers he is a Born Leader
2. Piggy Becomes More and More Isolated
3. Ralph and Jack Strengthen their Relationship

1. Ralph, although shy at first, quickly becomes accustomed to giving orders,
" 'Well then.'
All at once he found he could talk fluently and explain what he had to say."
This is a sign of maturity and separates him from the other boys.

Ralph assures the boys that rescue will come,
"The assembly was lifted towards safety by his words. They liked and now respected him. Spontaneously they began to clap and presently the platform was loud with applause."
This shows that Ralph can sympathise with the audience to gain their approval.

2. The boys gang up on Piggy as he is an easy target and by making him a common enemy they feel empowered. This if anything shows exactly how childish the boys are because they aren't yet able to see beyond their own enjoyment. Piggy doesn't join in with the activities such as collecting firewood, he observes and comments rather than helping. This shows that he distances himself from the other boys and considers himself to be above them,
" 'Like kids!' he said scornfully. 'Acting like a crowd of kids!' "

3. Ralph and Jack find themselves alone carrying a tree branch together,
"Once more, amid the breeze, the shouting, the slanting sunlight on the high mountain, was shed that glamour, that strange invisible light of friendship, adventure and content."
With no one to observe their actions, they are no longer competing and discover a simple joy in friendship.

In summary, by taking time out of my heavy RuneScape schedule, Alex = Awesome.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Gibbo
Within chapter two of Lord of the Flies i believe that all the events that occur are of some significance to the overall plot, and links in to what will develop as the storyline moves on. These include the creation of the fire on the mountain, Piggy's outburst of fellings and also the sighting of the beast, which does show the true fear that all the children on the island have, that before this is masked by a mature behavior where none of them really have it.

However in my opinion, I believe that the outburst that Piggy, commits himself to is the event with the most importance overall, for a variety of factors. For instance as 'Aidan' has stated, Piggy seems to be a reserved character that has no sence of control, and is always under Ralphs palm, being ordered what to do, where in most cases he totaly disagrees. This is because if we look at the progression of the plot, Piggy seems to find all the key factors, such as the conch as an example. Although he has made this discovery, he has no confidence to make it his burden, so he has no arguement to stop Ralph for making it his own. This means that events such as this example above cause Piggy to burn his fuse, and verbally shout his feelings of the current events so far, that none of the other characters, in particualr JAck Merridew expected. Statements from this rant are as follows:

- 'How can you expect to be rescued if you don’t put first things first and act proper?'

-'You got your small fire all right.'

- 'Unwillingly Ralph turned away from the splendid awful sight'

-'How could I with them little 'uns runing round like insects?'

The lines above suggest that Piggy, is directly questioning the huge flaws in recent activities, directly linked to thier survival. Therefore Piggy is projected in this 'rant' to be a logical but critical individual, whilst changing the power scheme, as he now seems to be more intelligent than Jack, or even Ralph. This means that they both are inferior to Piggy and are unable to stop his feelings coming out, proving to be their consequence of harsh actions before, indicating why this is the most imporant event in chapter 2. In addition, Piggy seems to be taking advantage of rules created, such as the conch becuase then Ralph cannot interupt, this means that the leader with Jack has dug himself into a hole due to weak stragtagy as outlined by Piggy in his feelings on the matter.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Kate (:
In chapter two there are so many key events i'm not sure i can pick one out to be the most important. However a few of them such as the 'discovery' of the beastie, the boy going missing, and the sun setting all point to the finding of the boys' fear.
All of these events present a change in the atmosphere on the island. the sun setting obviously creates darkness, but the darkness  brings a mystery and fear now the 'beastie' is on everyone's minds. This fear is then multiplied by the loss of the boy with the birthmark. 'him with the mark on his face, I don't see him. Where is he now? the crowd was as silent as death.'
This event brings danger to the island, and a need for strong leadership but all the older boys seem to do is argue and that just worsens the situations.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Kirstie
Even though this is technically not an event, i believe it has the most significance in Chapter 2. For me, the sun setting demonstrates a strong change in atmosphere, enflicting fear upon the boys. As the sun goes down, Piggy takes control and shouts at the rest of the boys. Then just as the sun is about to set it is discovered that the little boy with the birthmark is no longer visible. Before the sun was setting the atmosphere and attitudes of the boys were over excited and uncontrollable. As the sun goes down, their hopes and chances of being rescued go down with it. Darkness represents a common fear for many people, and night time is when the big beastie and snakes come out. This island is a different place in the darkness.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

.Robert
Chapter 2 holds more than one significant event, the fire, beast and Piggy’s outburst. But Piggy’s speech plays a very important part in the storyline.  Piggy is often the ‘brains’ behind the good ideas and decisions made, and yet he is not taken seriously, he’s constantly insulted and humiliated, and never stands up for himself. “I got the conch! Just you listen!” Here Piggy has finally snapped, after all the interruptions, he has made a stand and shown his colours. However even with his anger, Jack is still ignoring the rules (person with the conch speaks), which could show that Piggy is doomed from the beginning, no matter what how he acts. He has shown himself to be weak and venerable, and so the other boys take advantage of this.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Emma
I know many people have said this but I also think that the name of the chapter 'fire on the mountain' is the most important important thing that happens in chapter 2. I think the fire symbolises the power of the island and the boy going missing reminds them it's not a game and that it's dangerous. The line 'beneath them, on the unfriendly side of the mountain, the drum roll continued' tells us that the fire will continue and the stress and missfortune will too.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Beach!
Ok so loads of people have posted before me so I'm probably just repeating them but I have to say something.

I feel that chapter two is a very important chapter in the development of the characters. The most significant moment - I feel - is the death of the small birth-marked child. The anarchy of the boys and their out of control behaviour caused a child to be killed. However, the other children - apart from Piggy - do not see this and the thoughtlessness of their actions show Piggy in a true maturity that he has naturally, and it strikes up the real immaturity of the others in their haste to make fire and make believe that they are something else they do not consider the consequences of their actions as most children do not. Piggy only really grasps the seriousness 'he was gasping for breath' he can't put into words the horror of the realisation of their actions. This relates to later in the story as the group begins to develop into savagery which begins with the thoughtlessness of the building of a fire and the death of the child.

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Frostieez
Personally I think that the fact that piggy is the only one to notice that a child is missing during his little rant, the child is missing within the fire and never found again suggesting that he is dead, the other boys still fixated on fire represents to me the fact that mankind is solely concentrated on science and the idea of development. However this leads to death, much like the atom bomb occurring at the time of the book, the fact that piggy is the only one to notice shows that he is the most rational and throrough thinking. He understands the need for calm and pacing, he also understands that with one "littl'un" missing the others will be scared, he forces this into the people around him making him the centre of attention to which he is insulted by Jack, making himself the most noticeable, attempting to silence the only rationality within the group, much like savagery does

Re: What is the most important thing that happens in Chapter 2?

Nicola Sarah Jordan
Just like a few other people in this post......

I feel that the little boy going missing is the most significant thing that happens in chapter 2.
I think this because it shoes that some of the boys care about the fact he is missing whilst overs show a more relaxed attitude. This could show that some boys are caring and will think about everyone on the island rather than just themselves, and some of the boys are quite selfish and are more wrapped up in the whole fantasy island lifestyle rather than the wellbeing of the overall group.

The boy going missing clearly shows people fearing this "beastly snake" creature a bit more, as it is just another thing that has happened that could make this rumor more plausible. So therefore the little boy going issing doesnt only show selfishness in some and caring for people in others, but it also shows an advance in peoples emotions and feelings towards what could happen and what is happening on the island.

Mmmm Thats it.
Bye

Corrections for Gibbo's novel

Shaun
Within chapter two of Lord of the Flies I believe that all the events that occur are of some significance to the overall plot, and links in to what will develop as the storyline moves on. These include the creation of the fire on the mountain, Piggy's outburst of feelings and also the sighting of the beast, which does show the true fear that all the children on the island have, that before this is masked by a mature behaviour where none of them really have it.

However in my opinion, I believe that the outburst that Piggy, commits himself to is the event with the most importance overall, for a variety of factors. For instance as 'Aidan' has stated, Piggy seems to be a reserved character that has no sense of control, and is always under Ralph’s palm, being ordered what to do, where in most cases he totally disagrees. This is because if we look at the progression of the plot, Piggy seems to find all the key factors, such as the conch as an example. Although he has made this discovery, he has no confidence to make it his burden, so he has no argument to stop Ralph for making it his own. This means that events such as this example above cause Piggy to burn his fuse, and verbally shout his feelings of the current events so far, that none of the other characters, in particular Jack Merridew expected. Statements from this rant are as follows:

- 'How can you expect to be rescued if you don’t put first things first and act proper?'

-'You got your small fire all right.'

- 'Unwillingly Ralph turned away from the splendid awful sight'

-'How could I with them little 'uns running round like insects?'

The lines above suggest that Piggy, is directly questioning the huge flaws in recent activities, directly linked to their survival. Therefore Piggy is projected in this 'rant' to be a logical but critical individual, whilst changing the power scheme, as he now seems to be more intelligent than Jack, or even Ralph. This means that they both are inferior to Piggy and are unable to stop his feelings coming out, proving to be their consequence of harsh actions before, indicating why this is the most important event in chapter 2. In addition, Piggy seems to be taking advantage of rules created, such as the conch because then Ralph cannot interrupt, this means that the leader with Jack has dug himself into a hole due to weak strategy as outlined by Piggy in his feelings on the matter.